the past two weeks.

It's been a while again, this time due to being away and spending time with a special lady. Here's a recap of the past little while.

I saw Be Kind Rewind, which was good, but not the home run I was expecting. The "Sweded" bits were lots of fun, and there were some great moments but the story lacked anything resembling heart or an emotional draw. I may have laughed my ass off from time to time but when it was over I really didn't take anything away from it.

I managed to check out some good rock n roll (Cuban Assassins, The Hot Springs) and some cute indie pop (The Superfantastics); they were good but I didn't stay for the whole set, I guess a guitar being in tune is just a big thing for me.
Cuban Assassins - Baby C'mon

The Oscars happened, the people I really wanted to win did (Marion Cotillard for La Vie En Rose/La Môme, Glen Hansard & Markéta Irglová for best song) but I would have liked to have seen Lars and the Real Girl win best screenplay.

I ate some delicious beef and pork.

I watched episode 9 of The Wire's 5th and final season. Pretty great stuff, have to say possibly the best show on TV and sad to see it ending, but better than having the quality dive like in Rescue Me or Saved By The Bell. It's great to see stories span beyond seasons and things roll out in realistic timelines (fuck you 24). It's an investment to get into but completely worth it. This is the perfect show for DVD. Now if only The Shield season 7 would hit the air.

I found out what Sarah Silverman was doing with Matt Damon a little while ago... but what Jimmy Kimmel was doing with Ben Affleck really caught me by suprise (details here)



The Big Sleep's new album is out now.
So is R.I.P.; Rocket From The Crypt's last show ever in recorded bliss. Of course, you're better off going HERE or to your local indie record shop and buying the actual disc as it comes with a DVD too. There's a couple songs and some info at The Choir Croaks
Lastly The Gutter Twins is coming tomorrow. It'll be in stores and on iTunes.
I've got mine already and it's all I could want from the parties involved. Something familiar but yet still very much new. You can download a full live show over at Captain's Dead. And be sure to check them out on the road if you can.
The Gutter Twins - I Was In Love With You

Figured I'd mention the new Goldfrapp ... I really liked Felt Mountain, then they went all shiny disco... the new album is good but reminds me too much of other things. At times Janis Ian or Phoebe Snow, sometimes Martina Topley-Bird, and at its worst Lisa Stansfield. Also, synths are never going to the job strings do with the same effect.
Goldfrapp - Little Bird

Black Mountain are playing in a couple days... I may go, the new album is good and I love this song.

No comments: