a load of shows and some other stuff.

I saw Lars And The Real Girl this week; it's by far the funniest and most touching movie I've ever seen featuring a life-like sex doll. I highly recommend it if you want to laugh and get all emotional... it happens to the best of us.

I also had two epic nights out seeing bands on Thurs & Fri. Thursday started with the reunited Police, who I have always been a fan of but have to say I was unimpressed with. They played great and all, but there was just no fire in their belly really so the whole thing felt sort of uninspired to me. I ran up to the El Mocambo after that to catch Bionic ; they're always great and the new album is one of the best rock records I've picked up in the last couple years for sure. Caught the tail end of fellow Haligonian Rebekah Higgs' set that night too, quite nice. You can check her out here.

Friday night I caught the tail end of The Drones (kind of reminded me of a rough version of The Frames mixeed with Teenage Fanclub or something), they were alright. They were opening for Band Of Horses who were good but they never really took to that place where I get lost in the show. I knew I was watching a great band and they were playing amazing but it just didn't connect. On the other hand.... I saw My Brightest Diamond after that and it was everything that was missing from the Police & Band of Horses shows. Shara has one of the best voices I've ever had the chance to see live and just everything about the show put a smile on my face. She's quite coy and cute in between songs and would be totally pretentuous if she weren't smiling at everything she's doing. Get some HERE and enjoy these tunes...

The Police - Fall Out
The Police - Be My Girl (also makes sense with Lars & The Real Girl)
Rebekah Higgs - Parables
My Brightest Diamond - Magic Rabbit

2 comments:

JJ said...

Whoah man don't agree on The Drones comparison. Dunno which songs you caught but don't see the Frames or TF similarity.I reviewed one of their recent shows down here:
http://jgantic.wordpress.com/2007/10/31/fin-by-fin/
Also a live clip here:
http://pitchforkmedia.imeem.com/video/ZU1OhReb/the_drones_i_dont_ever_want_to_change_music_video/
Great Aussie band.
Cheers, there's some great stuff coming outta Canada

Desmond said...

Well, i should say that their music didn't remind me of The Frames, but the way the singer sang and moved around did remind me of Glen Hansard. They also reminded me of some of the early Teenage Fanclub where they'd have long guitar melodies and stuff. I only caught the last couple songs, maybe if I say more they would have made more of an impression on me.